Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What is worth walking a mile to the grocery store for?

Oatmeal Brownie Milky Way Bars.
Ignore the broccoli.  I was making dinner when we decided to try these :)
Oh, yes.  Let me tell you how these came to be.

Yesterday was Tuesday.  Tuesday is ironing day for me.  I hate (nay -  loathe, abominate, abhor) ironing.  I don't like it.  But, I do it anyway.  Why?  Because I love my husband.  If he doesn't have to iron his clothes, he has one less thing to worry about in the morning and can sleep in a little extra.
I like to help him out.  He deserves that little bit of extra sleep.  He's awesome. :)

I made a deal with myself yesterday.  If I got all my ironing done in the morning, then I would reward myself by going to the pool for a couple hours in the afternoon.  Good motivation, huh?  I turned on my Disney music and spent the next couple hours ironing to the tune of Tarzan, Mulan, etc.  (It really does help pass the time) :)  I got all my ironing done, tidied up the house, and headed to the pool.  The pool that was closed for maintenance when I got there.  Bummer.

So, instead of spending a couple hours at the pool, I decided to do my grocery shopping.  I didn't need very many items this week.  A quick grocery trip means going one mile down the road.  Did I mention that we are a one car family?  For me, that means walking.  A mile isn't a long distance to walk, though.  No big deal, right?  It wasn't on the way there, but it most definitely was on the way back.  85 degree weather.  Carrying grocery bags.  That was a very long walk.

While I was at the grocery store I purchased a Milky Way candy bar and a bag of caramels, which were the only ingredients I was missing to make Oatmeal Brownie Milky Way Bars.  Then I made them, because Lester and I deserved some chocolate deliciousness after hard days at work. :)

May I just say, these bars are FABULOUS!  Chocolate-y. Chewy. Caramel-y.  I keep thinking about them, wanting to eat "just one more."
Go. Walk to the store and grab the ingredients you need.  It's totally worth it :)

Oatmeal Brownie Milky Way Bars

Ingredients

2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
2 cups Flour
1 cup packed Light Brown Sugar
2 1/2 sticks room temp. Butter
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt (I used Kosher)
2 cups boxed Brownie Mix
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1 egg
1 bag (11 oz.) Kraft Caramel Bits
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
2 Milky Way Bars


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium sauce pan, place two Milky Way bars, entire bag of caramels, and half cup of heavy cream.  Let simmer over medium to medium low heat until fully melted.  Remove from heat and let cool approximately ten minutes.
In a large bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, and butter.  Either use a fork to incorporate or just use hands to combine.  Its ok if there are some chunks of butter, you are looking for no chunk bigger then a pea though.
Add in two cups of brownie mix, egg, and oil.  Stir until just combined.
Using a prepared 9x13 baking dish, spread half of the oat mixture into dish and press firmly to flatten.
Pour the melted Milky Way over the oat mixture.  Make sure to get all the way to the corners.
Top with remaining oat mixture.
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment