Monday, July 4, 2011

Caramel Banana Shortcakes

First of all, I apologize for not having posted in a while.  I have about three posts worth of stuff to tell you, but life has been just a LITTLE bit crazy around here recently. I'll get back on it as soon as I can.  I promise. :)

Secondly, here is why life has been crazy - we bought a house!  It has been quite the whirlwind weekend for us.  We found the house we love, made an offer, and were accepted all within 24 hours.  After months of praying, searching, saving, and studying, we are confident that God has guided us through the process, to this house, at this point.  We are looking forward to seeing how He will use our new house as an instrument for His glory!  We close the end of the month and will be moving in right after that, so - hopefully - in about a month or so, I will be able to post pictures for you to see!

Thirdly, I do have a recipe to share with you today!  A couple weeks ago, while doing my daily blog reading, I ran across this recipe for Caramel Banana Shortcakes by Bridget at Bake at 350.  Being a banana lover and intrigued by the concept of a non-strawberry shortcake recipe, I knew I needed to try it.  My parents came over on Friday night, which gave me the excuse I needed to make it.  I think I speak for all of us, when I say it was GOOD.  We served them up in mini trifle dishes because it is a sweet, sweet dessert.  It was the perfect amount for us to enjoy the deliciousness without feeling like we overindulged.  Maybe you could make it for your July 4th party tonight or another summer get together.  I don't think you'll be disappointed! :)

Caramel Banana Shortcakes
makes 6*

Shortcake Ingredients
  • 2 1/3 c. baking mix (like Bisquick)                 
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup of milk (plus more, if needed)
  • 1/2 cup mashed banana
  • 1 TBSP. butter
Filling
  • 16 oz caramel sauce/topping 
  • 2-3 medium bananas, sliced
Brown sugar whipped cream
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
Preparation
Preheat oven to 425.


Place your mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer.  (This helps the cream whip up faster later)
Mix together the baking mix, cinnamon, milk, mashed bananas, and butter.  I needed to add about another 1 1/2 TBSP of milk before my dough came together.  Dough is very sticky...annoyingly sticky.  Bear with it though, it tastes good. :)
Knead dough about 10 times on a surface covered in baking mix.  Form into a 1/2 in. thick circle and use circle cookie cutters.  *Make as big or as small as you want.  Bridget recommends using a 3 in cutter, and her recipe makes 6 shortcakes.  I made mine a little bit smaller and came out with 8.
Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.  Remove and place on wire rack to cool. 


Making the whipped cream
Beat the cream and brown sugar in the chilled bowl on HIGH just until stiff peaks form.  Watch it or you may end up with brown sugar butter.  My mom's expertise came in very handy at this point, as I had never made whipped cream before.  Thanks, mom! :)



When ready to serve
Heat caramel sauce on stove and slice bananas.
Slice shortcakes in half.  Layer the bottom half with sliced bananas and caramel sauce, place the other half of the shortcake on top.  Finish with whipped cream and more caramel sauce.  Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment