Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Confessions of a Chips and Salsa Addict

Hi.  My name is Sarah.  I am a chips and salsa addict.
There...I said it. :) 

It is a well known fact that if I get to choose where we are going to eat out, 95% of the time we will be enjoying enchiladas, tacos, or burritos at a Mexican restaurant.  And since I plan the menu around here, you can guarantee that some sort of Mexican dish will make it on the list every week.  (But to be fair...most of the time I scratch that dish out and replace it with something else so that Lester doesn't get Mexican-ed out) :)  He likes Mexican food, but doesn't necessarily LOVE it like I do.

My favorite part of any Mexican restaurant or dish is chips and salsa.  Chips and salsa is the perfect appetizer or snack.  Salty tortilla chips.  Spicy salsa.  I could eat baskets and baskets of it (and, maybe I have before). *blushes*  Once I get started, it is very hard for me to quit snacking on it.  Chips and salsa = happiness.

Lucky for me, Lester loves chips and salsa.  And, I think I've made an addict out of him too. :)

I have a favorite brand for both chips and salsa.  I have always bought the same and never varied from the tried and true...until now.  Lester and I visited my parents a little while ago, and my mom made homemade salsa, which she graciously allowed us to "try."  (You remember how I said its hard for me to stop eating chips and salsa once I start?  We almost completely polished off that bowl of salsa by ourselves)  Oops. :)  I vowed then and there that I would never buy store bought salsa again.  It was so fresh tasting!  So good!  And completely customizable to your own taste!  She shared the recipe with me, which came from the wonderful kitchen of Ree Drummond at The Pioneer Woman.

I just finished making a batch to go with our quesadillas tonight.  Can't wait!  I'm just trying not to think about it so that I don't eat any before Lester gets home. 

Salsa Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • 1/4 cup Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • 1/4 teaspoon Sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
  • 1/2 cup Cilantro
  • 1/2 whole Lime Juice
Preparation (Did I mention that this is SO easy to make?)

Throw all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until salsa has reached your desired consistency. 
Enjoy!

Notes
  • This recipe makes a humongous batch of salsa.  I halved the recipe and came out with 3 cups.  That should last us a few days ;)
  • Be sure to taste the salsa and add/change any seasonings you desire.  I ended up adding some more cilantro and a little more sugar just to cut the acidity.
  • Warning!  Jalapenos are hot.  If you don't like your salsa too spicy, be sure to cut out the seeds and membranes before adding.  Mine is pretty spicy today.  Oh yeah :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment