Friday, May 20, 2011

What can you make with a gallon of strawberries?

I am currently enjoying a scrumptious slice of strawberry bread with my coffee.  Like my attempt at alliteration? :)  I also have three containers of glorious strawberry freezer jam.  For date night I'm planning some strawberries with chocolate fondue, and there are plans for strawberry smoothies in the near future.  Sense a theme here?

I went strawberry picking yesterday with one of my good friends.  It was a beautiful day!  Even though the end of strawberry season is here, there were still quite a few super red, super juicy strawberries left.  We both left with a gallon of strawberries each, which didn't seem like a lot until I got home and started washing, hulling, slicing, cooking, and baking.  One gallon of strawberries is a lot!  I'm currently researching strawberry recipe ideas to use them up.  I would welcome any ideas - and yes, strawberry shortcakes are already on the agenda.  I'm also thinking of trying my hand at making strawberry syrup to go with pancakes or waffles.  All you cooks out there please send your favorite strawberry recipes my way.  I would love to try them!

For the time being, I would love to share the strawberry bread recipe and the freezer jam recipe with you.
I know freezer jam isn't anything spectacular.  Someday I would like to try my hand at canning jam, but the process is somewhat intimidating.  Lester LOVES jam on his biscuits and toast though, so I thought this would be a good place to start.  (by the way...It's really simple)


Strawberry Freezer Jam
taken from Betty Crocker
Ingredients
  1 quart (4 cups) of strawberries, cut in half
  4 cups of sugar
  3/4 cup of water
  1 package (1 3/4 oz) powdered fruit pectin
Directions
Step 1 - Mash strawberries with potato masher or in food processor until slightly chunky (not pureed) to make 2 cups crushed strawberries. Mix strawberries and sugar in large bowl. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Step 2 - Mix water and pectin in 1-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour hot pectin mixture over strawberry mixture; stir constantly 3 minutes.
Step 3 - Immediately spoon mixture into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rims of containers; seal. Let stand at room temperature about 24 hours or until set.  Store in freezer.  Thaw frozen jam and stir before serving.

Come back tomorrow for the Strawberry Bread recipe! I need to take a decent picture of it, if we don't eat it all first. ;)   


2 comments:

  1. I made this last night with the strawberries we picked: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Five-Fruit-Pie

    I'll have to try the jam! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete