Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Money Saving Tip: For Clean Floors

I have made a discovery in the (almost) 3 months that we have been living in our dream home - hardwood floors are very hard to keep clean!

 The entire first floor of our house has beautiful hardwood floors, and we love them!  But, every single piece of dirt, leaf, crumb, and hair can be seen.  I find myself sweeping the floors just about every day, and then I find more dirt!  It mocks me.

My two favorite floor cleaning tools are my Swiffer Sweeper and Swiffer Wet Jet.  Using these tools along with a good old broom and dust pan seems to keep the dirt under control.  I'll show it who's boss around here!

I love my Swiffer products; they are so convenient to use and clean my floors remarkably well!  The only problem I have is the amount of money I spend buying the cleaning cloths and solutions.  After my last trip to the store to pick up the needed supplies (and almost dying from a heart attack at the price I had to pay), I set out to find a more inexpensive way to clean my floors.

Enter the Money Saving Tip of the day!  I have found a way to refill the Wet Jet cleaning solution bottle with my own solution.  By doing this, I keep from having to buying and throwing out the company's 1 time use bottles.  I can also clean my floors with whatever solution I like now.  A bottle of my own brand of cleaning solution costs less than the Wet Jet solution and will last me a lot longer!

Want to know how do to it too?  It was so easy!

1.  Fill a small saucepan with enough water to submerge the cap of the bottle and boil.
2.  Once the water begins to boil, hold bottle in water - with cap submerged - for approximately 60-90 seconds.
3.  Remove from water.  Using a cloth, twist off cap.  (It only took me one try.  That's a big deal, since I always need Lester to open bottles and cans for me) :P
4.  If you look inside the cap, you will see small prongs that are supposed to make the cap permanently irremovable.  (Little do they know) ;)  Using a razor blade, knife, or fingernail clippers, snip the prongs off.  This will allow you to easily remove the cap next time you need to refill.
5.  Fill bottle with your cleaning solution of choice and mop those floors!  My floors are so happy and clean right now.  It makes me happy, too. :)

Here are the original instructions with step by step pictures, as well.

I have also read that you can make your own sweeper cloths.  I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know if/when I do!  Happy Cleaning!

No comments:

Post a Comment