Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Eat Your Veggies!

As the thoughtful, responsible wife that I am, I have made it a point over the past month to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into our diet.   For the most part, I cook pretty healthy meals, but there is definitely room for improvement, especially in the veggie department.

As part of my "Extra Vegetable Initiative,"  I have instituted what I call "Meatless Meal" day.  Once a week, I aim to prepare a completely vegetarian dinner.  I'm positive we will never become full vegetarians, we love our meat.  (Lester would probably die first!)  But, I can say that I have succeeded in keeping him full and happy without him realizing that I've incorporated "Meatless Meal" days into the weekly menus.  In fact, he just figured it out last night. :)

One of the benefits of our Extra Vegetable Initiative" is the added vitamins and minerals we take in through consuming more vegetables.  We have also added more nuts and beans (another neglected food group) into our diet, which gives us the needed protein we would otherwise get from meat.  Finally, I have found that we save money on our grocery bill by cutting back on the amount of meat we buy.

I am including the links to three of our favorite "Meatless Meals" for you to try with your family!

Roasted Vegetable Couscous with Chickpeas from Cooking Light
Because couscous tends to be drier, next time I would double the onion topping.  (And, I didn't add the raisins - gross!)
By the way, if you have never roasted vegetables, you should!  The roasting process generally creates a sweeter flavor.  I could eat roasted vegetables like candy!


Stacked Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas from Two Peas and Their Pod
This meal was delicious and so filling!  Lester immediately asked me to make it again soon.
Next time I will probably cut the amount of cheese a little just to make it a bit healthier.

Fall's Favorite Curry from Chocolate Covered Katie
I made this for dinner last night and just ate some leftovers for lunch today.  This is definitely good, warm, comfort food!
I didn't include beans this time, but next time I will probably add a can of chickpeas for protein.
Also, this recipe makes a TON of food!  I would say about 5 large servings.  Use your biggest saute pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment